Wednesday, October 5, 2011

James 2:2-4

Scripture: James 2:2-4
2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in.
3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 
4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?


Observations: 

I remember in school feeling like I was judged by my clothing. I didn’t have the brand name stuff, and I did feel like the “popular kids” got special attention. I think this is true also in restaurants and in retail in general. We assume the rich person will purchase something and tip, and treat them with special attention. On the flipside, we get suspicious if someone comes in looking like they can’t afford the products or won’t tip.

Application: 
It honors God when we help the poor, and treat them as they are: people! They were made in the image of God, just the same way. I heard someone talking about how the library in another city becomes a sketchy place when the weather is bad, because the homeless people go into it for shelter. I wanted to ask why the homes aren’t open for these people. Why is the community not heartbroken for their poor? Do you have to have a house to be considered a neighbor, or are we not called to love others?

Prayer: 
Lord I pray for broken hearts. I pray for compassion in communities. I pray that people are able to understand and reach out to the poor. I pray for the kids in school who are treated differently because of their clothing, that they grow up in humility and understand they are worthy. Father, comfort them. In Jesus’ name I ask, amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment